Monday, August 27, 2007

O is for Okra



in season now! this is okra gumbo, of sorts. this is what i used and what i did:

one onion, diced
a few cloves crushed garlic
one red bell pepper, diced
two cups fresh tomato, diced
about 1 lb sliced okra
one cup corn kernels
one can cannellini beans
some allspice, oregano, fennel seeds, cloves, hot pepper flakes, celery seed, salt & black pepper
5 cups chicken broth
two cooked italian sausages (left over from the night before), sliced
1/2 a cup of cooked brown rice (also left over)

saute onions & garlic
add red bell pepper, saute
add tomato, saute
add the rest of the ingredients, except left over rice and sausage
cover and cook for about 15 minutes
stir in the left over rice and sausage

serve with a nice crusty loaf of bread.

it's easy. it's yum. feel free to improvise.

3 comments:

gizard said...

It's damn tasty!

Britt Bravo said...

Hey Zoe,

I've tagged you for the 8 random facts about me meme. I don't think you've done it recently . . .
http://havefundogood.blogspot.com/2007/08/8-facts-about-me-meme.html

Mediterranean Views said...

Do you know I never tried Okra the whole of my childhood growing up in Virginia (my mother was from upstate NY, not a Southern cook). I finally tried it a few years ago while visiting my brother in NC, and I loved it. Now I'd love to be able to get some here in Spain. No doubt it would grow well, but it's not a veggie I see in the markets here.
Maybe I could use zuchini??

I'll see about getting to that tag maƱana. Amy