Saturday, August 11, 2007

saturday solitude



dan flew to milwaukee yesterday to fetch tashi. they will return tomorrow evening. the picture above is of the signposts in front of dan's parent's house, pointing the way to where each of their seven children reside.

i'm trying not to sink into lethargy during my time alone, while alternately, i'm trying to allow myself to let things slip. the dishes are piled up, the laundry waits, the paperwork on the desk mocks, the to do list demands. and i am just flitting from one position to another, ignoring it all.

actually. i went to a pot luck last night. it was very nice. i met folks in the birth community and folks in the community in general. i also saw some people that i already know. it was super.

this morning i rose sometime after nine. my cat loki was rolling around the bed licking his limbs. i pulled an old vintage dress out of the closet, applied eye liner and went to the salvation army.



where i found two pairs of crisp sheets. they will either make a bed or make a dress.



an absurd painting of a bear band. it's a real painting!




a pattern of little blossoms on a shirt



and a tolkien audio collection performed by himself and his son! one of the four tapes is missing, but three out of four tapes is worth the 50 CENTS i was charged for the entire set. we get to listen to this amazing stuff on our toyota cassette stereo: excerpts from the return of the king, the two towers, the adventures of tom bombadil, the silomarillion, and the poems and songs of middle earth. dan, who reads the lord of the rings trilogy at least once a year, will be pleased.



yes, that is the consumer report from me this morning. but for less than the cost of mocha and a pastry, it was all worth it.

the farmers market followed, where i gathered tomatoes, peppers and other fresh delights. i'm looking forward to a bright salad.

i convinced myself to come home after the farmer's market, rather than run to the matinee of stardust. this may just happen before the day is done.

1 comment:

Mediterranean Views said...

Zoe, I found your blog by chance - in a search for images of a Catalba Tree to remind me of childhood summers at Grandmama's in upstate New York - and there was this blog and profile of someone whose thoughts reminded me of my own. Your musings, parts of yor creative profile, so much reminds me of me. I grew up in Northern Virginia, but often miss the mountain countryside I visited on weekends. Music has been an important part of our family gatherings but my cousin and brother are the jammers. I have no musical talent, but I love those jammin' good times. Then my stomach flip flopped when I saw the sheets you bought at the Salvation Army. I had daisy sheets JUST LIKE THOSE at some point in my childhood. Such are the pullings of these blog connections you mention you so love. So now perhaps we're connected.
Anyway, just wanted to say hello, introduce myself and invite you to stop by at Mediterranean Views. medviews.blogspot.com to meet me.
I've had a writing lull thi s month because of children's workshops and reading in the aprk I've been doing, but I will soon be back. Stop by when you can.
Warm regards from Spain, Amy Young