Sunday, October 28, 2007
charlottesville's free speech wall
here is what i did over the weekend (i'm suffering from a nasty case of poison ivy right now - acquired from my cat - so i'm trying to distract myself while tashi practices her violin):
1) final farmer's market of the season saturday morning where i picked up green beans, swiss chard, tomatoes, goat cheese and lettuce.
2) at tashi's request we visited the halloween festival in downtown charlottesville on saturday afternoon. parks and rec puts on a free and quite generous festival of games, crafts, moon walks and pumpkins at the pavilion. there were lots of treats.
3) bedknobs and broomsticks at the paramount theater.
bit of ceiling at the paramount
4) dumplings and noodles at marco and luca.
5) grocery store
6) suzanne, kevin, jakob and julian paid us a surprise visit. baby cheeks!
7) sunday morning pancake breakfast with berries
8) tashi has a playdate
9) dan and i go to see across the universe. while it had a pretty high kitsch factor (we often found ourselves cringing when yet another musical number came up), i loved it. there was some incredible choreography and the love of the music runs deep. i think any craft minded person would appreciate the arty set-work and effects. some of it was a bit awkward, perhaps forced. but i still loved it. there was an incredible gospel rendition of let it be that brought me to tears. and the trippy scene on the pranksters bus made me queasy in a sympathetic sort of way. i had no idea it was such a musical, but indeed, it is. a kind of 60's version of grease, but with recycled music. or americana bollywood, if you will. go see for yourself and let me know what you think!
10) dinner of beef noodle curry. it tastes far better than it looks.
wishing you all a cozy samhain, all hallowes, halloween week!