Monday, June 02, 2008

june bugged (or the post in which i whine)



for the first time in my life, i am not filled with joy about the approach of summer. i'm not exactly dreading it either. which is making me all the more confused. i've always been a summer girl. a fling open the windows and dance in the late night heat girl. a girl who likes the waves humidity brings to her hair. a languid beach girl. a let's-go-camp-now girl. a spaghetti strap girl. but something has changed. is it me? or is that i now live in the south? maybe it's just the neptune transit molly warned me of. or the fact that i have not yet shed that winter weight.

this weekend as the season of fierce humidity descended upon us, i got sick. my bones ached. i had no energy. i even had a fever. what kind of june greeting is that? i couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. it came. it went. i was left with nothing but a lingering headache and a knot in my stomach that is still untying. maybe it was the stomach virus tashi had last weekend?

but part of me wonders if my internal thermostat was just not adjusting to the humidity. it broke down so to speak. this theory came about yesterday when a bit of rain rolled in cooling things down a little, and i felt reborn.

and then last night before bed i noticed a raised bump on my arm. it wasn't itchy, but it was obviously a mean bite of some sort. had some little summer bug infused me with venom?

which leads me to the next topic. bugs. i'm a pretty earthy person, people. but the bugs of virginia! the cave crickets and assassin bugs and phat spiders and earwigs and stink bugs and beetles and multitudinous mosquitoes and unidentifiable bugs. oh my. the oh so leggy bugs. and worse yet. bugs on poison ivy.

ok. i'm being dramatic. like the storms that often threaten and then pass to the north.

if only the coast was three minutes away rather than three hours. that's all i really need, a body of water.

shall i complain about the lakes now? sure, there are some gorgeous ones. three within thirty minutes. where you have to swim within the ropes amongst the spit and pee of wee ones. don't get me wrong. you know i * love * wee ones. if i could have a few more wee ones of my own, i would. but that's a whole other topic to whine about.

what i really love in a body water is the freedom to swim freely away from the spit and pee into a clean soft silky expanse of spring water. or the cold clear salty sea water. not putrid tepid boggy swampy shallow crowded pee pee water. not only that, but the lifeguards make everyone clear out of the water for 15 minutes every hour. say what???

lastly, whilst swimming in the lake at walnut creek park last summer, something scraped against my thigh and then nibbled it. i'll never get over it. you cannot convince me that it was a cute little fish. it was the walnut creek worm. i'm sure of it.

ok, now that i have all that negativity of my chest, i feel a little better. sorry to not be happy happy zen delight. after my head clears and my stomach finally unties, maybe i'll wake up and enjoy the sun toasting the grass. maybe.

2 comments:

Laura_M said...

earwigs...eeeewwwwww!

i can't believe it's june!

come to michigan, where the lakes are not roped off!

patrice said...

I love hearing your truth, what you're enjoy or not enjoying!
I wonder too about my internal thermostat. We had a heat wave that left me immobilized and sick feeling recently. Uck!

And The Creature From the Black Lagoon and Jaws really ruined most waters for me...Give me tropical clean water that I can see to the bottom.

Comfort to you,

P-