Friday, October 20, 2006

reggae rant

reggae music takes me to my island. but i feel deeply disturbed by rastafarians who are homophobic.

stay out of other people’s bidness. we are all jah’s children. the only lesson is kindness.

i walked away from a reggae show the other night feeling so incredibly uplifted. the famous musician and his great band were energetic, passionate, very gifted. there were lyrics advocating non-violence, tolerance, self-respect. the audience was a lovely mix of colors, shapes, sizes, hairstyles and body odors. and the only smoke in the air was that of ganja.

after dancing my heart out i walked away feeling like i’d just seen the best reggae show of my life.

the next day i surfed the internet to learn more about this musician. i read the lyrics of a song he wrote about shooting gay people in the head. i saw a clip of him performing it on stage. and i read that he’d been tried – though acquitted – for gay bashing. good people are protesting this very tour he’s on. and i just spent a blissed out evening under his song.

it makes me feel more than a little icky.

i can only hope that he will find the way of wisdom. repent the injustices he's advocated. beg for forgiveness from those he's hurt. and use his gift without discrimination.

but i can be pretty idealistic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People can mature/reach potential unevenly. I appreciate your idealism.
I've enjoyed dropping in now and then to discover your life away from Ann Arbor -- if you ever want to check out the Ann Arbor plants and my often political concerns I've taken up blogging as well. www.lindadianefeldt.com/blog
My best to you and your family, and your connection to the plants in that area of the world!