Sunday, October 29, 2006

samhain bread

there have been some magnificent gusts of wind this weekend. yesterday i swept a knee high layer of leaves off of the deck. the night sky has been perfect for star gazing. lately on our various drives to and from this and that i've felt incredibly blessed to be living in such a gorgeous place.

this morning i baked bread. this is a big deal for me. i've had a history of bad luck with yeasted things. once i tried to make hot cross buns that turned out hard as river rocks. another time i made a bread in the shape of a spiral that was so huge we ended up feeding most of it to the wildlife in our yard. usually unyeasted quick breads are the way for me. my patience for kneading is about as high as my patience for knitting. i'm just not the perfect hippy mom.

but this morning i baked bread. it was really the first time trying to bake a basic loaf of bread. and it turned out fantastic. i enjoyed the whole process of puttering around the house while waiting for it to rise, and rise again and rise a third time. i loved punching it down. and i had a great bonding experience with tashi as we took turns kneading. an awesome aroma filled the house while it was baking. and the pleasure tashi expressed while eating her first warm, butter slathered piece was the ultimate reward. i think we'll do it every weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a lovely thing to bake bread.
I've been doing it about every week, and then giving away most of the loaves. There is just nothing like fresh made bread. And it is a great connection to our past, getting back to the very basics.
I'm enjoying making sourdough bread, which seems even more basic. What a great thing to share -- mother and daughter!
Good hallomas to you too...
-Linda Diane

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ellen said...

Oh, my goodness..I just Googled for a picture of a full harvest moon and found you. I will be back, I am appreciating your writing. Where have you been? Perhaps the question is, where have I been? How come? My mother always said, "Don't say how come."..but I do, and I still wonder, "How come I never saw you before?"
What a beautiful place you have created.
Thank you.