Wednesday, November 05, 2008

what were you doing when barack obama was elected president of the united states?



we started our night out at beer run, where the results were beginning to roll in on the big screen and both dan and i were searching for even more info on our laptops.



molly was there and john and lots of john's family and many locals come to join in on a festive election party.



around 8 i started to need my couch so we headed home. a few minutes after we arrived home the power went down. whaaaat? on election night? you've got to be kidding. dan called the power company and the woman on the phone laughed as she told him our whole part of the county went down. we lit candles and groaned a lot and turned my little battery powered shortwave to npr and stoked up the wood burning stove.

it was hard to remain awake in the candle light with the quiet drone of npr. around 11pm i was certain there would be some sort of controversy, mccain would order recounts, the republicans would try their best to somehow steal the election, we wouldn't know the verdict for days. i told tashi she might as well go to bed, because we probably wouldn't know the result until tomorrow anyway.

as i was singing to tashi the power came back. i schlepped downstairs and turned the tv on. there was mccain, about to concede. i screamed and yelled and dan and tashi ran downstairs to learn the wonderful truth. thank goodness the power came on just in time for us to witness this incredibly powerful historical moment.



yes we did!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeaaaa we DID it!!!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

We went home shortly after you did. John went to bed, and I nodded off on the couch waiting for them to call VA. Even though I knew it was over when Ohio went blue. I awoke to the phone ringing, it was my friend Laura calling to share the moment. There were people whooping and hollering and lighting firecrackers in the street outside.

song of the selkie said...

my youngest sister called from oregon the minute cnn declared obama's victory but i was too choked up to talk to anyone. my mexican husband was peeking out around the bedroom corner to see what all the ruckus was about and i told him we'd won in spanish through tears of joy and relief.

dreams became reality.

i will not have to make good on my threat to leave my home country now. i am no longer ashamed to admit that i am an american. i am ready to take on the spanking of corporate butt, i am ready to defy the slashers of civil rights and the slime of the petroleum industry, i feel strong and defiant.

i feel like a new american.

HOOORAAAY!!!

Anonymous said...

I was jumping up and down in front of the couch yelling "yeah, yeah yeah!!" while my kids looked at me like I was nutz. Then I cried.

Yes, indeed we did.